Communication Services & Information Technology
University of California
Communication Services & Information Technology

So you want to write an ANR Publication . . .


Do I need to request permission to use a photo, drawing, graph, or other material that was previously published somewhere else, including on a Web site?


The answer to this complex question depends on what you want to use and who controls the copyright. Two things we can say for sure:

  • You do not need permission to use material that is copyright by The Regents of the University of California.
  • You do not need permission to use material produced or published by the U.S. federal government or any of its agencies. These materials are in the public domain. 

Material produced by state and local governments are generally under copyright; look for the copyright notice on the publication. Even if the copyright notice is absent, it is best to get permission.

Material taken from Web sites may be under copyright. Look for a copyright statement or terms of use on the site.

Contact Steve Barnett or your editor at Communication Services for more information.

Relevant Categories



Communication Services, copyright, permissions, publication production


Stephen Barnett
Communication Services and Information Technology
Phone: (530) 750-1222

Last Updated

February 5, 2010

Webmaster Email: