Skip to Content
University of California
Communication Services & Information Technology
How do I download my ebook for iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch?
- Adobe Digital Editions for PC/Mac. Download it for free here.
- Bluefire Reader app for iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch. Go to the iTunes store for the free app.
- On your computer, authorize your Adobe Digital Editions with your e-mail address and password (your Adobe ID). If you don’t have an account yet, creating one is easy and required for downloading purchases to your computer and portable devices.
- Next, download the free Bluefire Reader app from the App Store. This app supports Adobe DRM-protected EPUB and PDF files and will let you to read purchased files on your devices.
For more information about this helpful app, check out www.bluefirereader.com.
- Open the Bluefire app on your device. It will prompt you to authorize it using your Adobe ID, which is usually made up of the username (typically your e-mail address) and password that you created when you first installed and authorized Adobe Digital Editions for your desktop. As soon as the Bluefire Reader app is authorized with the same Adobe ID as your Adobe Digital Editions, you can use it to read files from your Digital Editions Library.
If the app does not prompt you to authorize it, click the "Info" option at the bottom right corner of the screen, then tap the "Authorize" button and enter your Adobe ID.
Downloading your purchased files onto devices operating iOS 4.0 and newer:
- Once you complete your purchase, you will receive an email from UCANR to your registered e-mail account. Open this e-mail on your device and tap "Download [title]" from within the e-mail message.
- A window will open with an option to open your file in your Bluefire Reader app. Tap "open in Bluefire".
- Your newly purchased file will automatically open in your Adobe ID authorized Bluefire Reader app for you to read and enjoy.
Note: Should you encounter any issues attempting to download your file in this manner, please follow the alternative steps below under "Transferring purchased files and reading on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch."
Transferring purchased files and reading on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch (best for older iOS):
- After you've purchased and downloaded an e-book file from the UCANR website, make sure that the file has appeared in Adobe Digital Editions on your PC or Mac. After that, you can close Adobe Digital Editions.
- Connect your device to your desktop using a USB cable and open iTunes. Check to see if you have the latest software updates installed on your device and in iTunes (9.1 or later). If not, install them.
- Find your device from the Devices section of iTunes and select it.
Click the "Apps" tab and scroll to the "File Sharing" panel (go to Apple's iTunes support site for more information on file sharing). Select the Bluefire Reader app from the list of available apps. Then click "Add..."
- A window will then pop open on your desktop for you to choose the file you want to add to your Bluefire Documents in iTunes and subsequently on your device. Click "My Documents" and find "My Digital Editions"; this is where the files you download into Adobe Digital Editions will be stored. Then double-click "My Digital Editions."
- In the “My Digital Editions" folder you should find the e-book file you purchased from the UCANR website. Select the file you wish to add and then click "Open."
- The file will then appear within iTunes in your "Bluefire Documents" on the "Apps" tab and will also be available in the Bluefire Reader app on your device for you to read and enjoy.
Webmaster Email: email@example.com